Friday, October 15, 2010

End o' Week Musings

It's been a busy week that has me about ready to ink in a Sunday nap on my calendar!





Speaking of Sunday, last weekend Angela and I went to the Rose Bowl Flea Market. She gave me some great shopping tips, especially if you're looking for vintage and collectibles. We spent several hours wandering around. She got out with an armload of clothes, while I didn't see anything that excited me enough to bring home.


After shopping, we stopped by the ballpark in Pasadena to watch our friends play. It was nice sitting under the trees on a hot day. From there, we went to McMurphy's (or whatever its called this week!) to watch the end of the football games, while waiting for our next adventure.



At 5 p.m. we trotted up the street to Vertical Wine Bistro. It was a little dark inside, but cozy. We sipped some wonderful cocktails and nibbled on several different happy hour dishes that were terrific. I would definitely take friends back there.


Monday night I danced at the Coffee Gallery Backstage in Altadena. I was accompanied by Joanne on handdrum and Fred, a Native American flute player, also performed during my set. We were opening for David Olney and Sergio Webb- superb Americana songwriters with an easy-going downhome style, yet a very polished performance.



Olney joked with the crowd as he introduced his numbers. He told a long tale leading into his tune, "Lampshade," and then asked me to join them on stage. I danced and -wow- Olney had a few good moves of his own.



After the show, Olney gave me a signed copy of one of his CDs. I got a kick out of it because it's the first time someone autographed something for me "To Nocturra," my bellydance moniker!



Tuesday I went to check out Danse Macabre. This group is best known for its performances at the Renaissance Faire. They specialize in Elizabethan music in traditional garb. I have been invited to participate in their performances at a big Halloween festival at Evergreen Cemetary in Riverside on Oct. 30.


I played all kinds of percussion instruments during the rehearsal and kept eyeing the harp in the corner hoping that I wouldn't be asked to pluck, because I'm sure it would sound awful! I guess I did OK because I'm in for sure... either that or they're desperate ha ha ha!


But seriously, Danse Macabre is extra interesting because the members are mostly professionals or retired professionals, such as college professors and engineers, and they have come together for the sheer joy of playing music... which they do extremely well! I'll keep you posted on the show so you can come out and hear them for yourself if you like.


Wednesday night I went to see "FDR" at the Pasadena Playhouse. I enjoyed it quite a bit. Ed Asner is still a great actor and was obviously having fun with the role. My only complaint with the show is it really needs an intermission because the seats were getting uncomfortable during the last 45 minutes and I could have used a good stretch. The show itself was funny, sad and moving. I'm still thinking about that pivotal point in history when FDR was president and I'm inspired to do a little research to learn more.
After "FDR" I dropped by Cafe 322 in Sierra Madre to catch the last hour of Cheryl Conley's show. She is one awesome jazz singer! A good band too. It was the perfect end to my evening.

I did tons of interviews over the week too. I spoke with poet and author Eric Monago, The Ready Set, Barry Winslow of The Royal Guardsman and artists Kathy Carvalles and Cynthia Minet.




This weekend my big thrill will be taking my old computer to the e-waste roundup and making chocolates with my mother. If I'm not exhausted, I may slide down to Glendora Continental to see The Subs Sunday evening.



I will pre-warn ya that I probably won't be able to get to my blog Monday and Tuesday because I will be out of the office doing all kinds of things. But don't fret, I'll make sure nothing important is missed.



In rotation this week: Pete Townsend, Leo, The Higher, Tribe of Gypsies, Philm, The Royal Guardsmen and The Ready Set (I think I'm becoming a fan of this 20-year-old talent!)


Photos we got 'em: A couple of pet photos that made me grin, along with some dog and pumpking pics that my friend Linda sent me.


Thought o' the Week: Find the joy. I had a hectic week, but it was full of joy. I got to hear different music that I usually listen to, see some intriguing art, spend an evening in the theater and have stimulating conversations. Plus I got my chance in the spotlight too.


I'm worn out, but looking back, I wouldn't trade all those adventures for the sleep I've lost. I'm a firm believer in taking up almost every opportunity life offers and throwing yourself into many different experiences. It makes you a wiser and happier person. You also may discover a new passion.


People often remark on my wide range of interests and then sigh and say that they don't know how I do it all. It's easy... turn off the TV and get off the couch. Life is out there for all of us to sample. Grab a bite when you can. Have you found joy this week?

Keep on rockin'
Mickie

No comments: